Born in 1994 in Bejaia, Algeria.
Lives in France since 2015, and works between Paris and Algeria.
As a self-taught, his passion for photography came from his interest in visual arts, especially cinema who influenced his methodological approach and inspired his aesthetic.
Yanis Kafiz follows a workshop, « Regards Photographique », with the photographer Bertrand Meunier/ Tendance floue. He attended another workshop, “Learn how to see, take position”, Agence Vu, Paris, with the photographer and curator Bruno Boudjelal, and Martine Ravache, historian and photography critic.
He also took part in the writing process and realisation, in a short film, “au secours”, with the film maker Benedicte Brunet.
The work of Kafiz Yanis has been exhibited at “Carreau de Cergy”, at the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Algiers (MAMA), at the international city of arts in Paris, and at “la Friche la Belle de Mai” in Marseille.
Formation and Workshop
- September – March 2019 : “Apprendre à voir, Prendre position » Agence Vu, Paris : workshop with the photographer and curator Bruno Boudjelal, and Martine Ravache, historian and photography critic.
- May 2018 : Coolisses, La Rochelle : workshop in video making and editing, first step in sound and lights, with the movie maker Salah Laddi.
- November 2017, La Fridge la Belle de Mai, Marseille :
Workshop, printing with a Resin and pigment processus called “altotype”, with the photograph Alfons Alt.
- 2016-2017 : Regard photographique- Cergy-Pontoise university : photographic course with Bertrand Meunier, a photographer of the collective “Tendance Floue”
- 2015-2016 : Workshop, short-film writing and making : in Paris with the film writer and maker Benedicte Brunet. Film making of “Au secours!” (“Help!”)
- 2012-2015: Actif member of the association “Les amis de la photographie” (“photography’s friends”) and the “Cultural Collective for creation and progress”, Bejaia University, Algeria.
July 2018 « Matière » Exposition at « Festival au Village », Brioux-sur-Boutonne, France.
- November – February 2018 « Nuages Noirs » Exhibited at “la Friche la Belle de Mai” in Marseille, as part of « Les Rencontres à l’Echelle », with Iqbal/Arrivals, for a new Algerian photography.
- September – November 2017 «Nuages Noirs » Exhibited at the international city of arts in Paris, as part of the Photography Biennale of the contemporary Arab world, with Iqbal/Arrivals, for a new Algerian photography.
- May – July 2017 «Nuages Noirs» Exhibition “Iqbal/Arrivals” , for a new Algerian photography, at the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art of Algiers (MAMA).
- June 2017 Exposition collective Croisement d’arts au Carreau de Cergy.
- Workshop “Apprendre à voir, Prendre position” (Learn how to see, take position), Agence Vu, Paris
- The short-movie “au secours” was selected for the RedCorner festival 2018.